The Old Post Office Antique store was originally built as a home and store by William Hawkins in 1868. He built the store after the Freshet flood of 1867 washed away his gristmill and sawmill on the Chepachet River. In 1910 the road was widened and paved. At this time the porch and a portion of the second floor was removed and a new porch was installed on the south side of the building along the river. Also in the early 1900s an addition was added to the right side of the building and utilized first as a Post Office and later for distributing the Providence Journal. The original counters from this time are still in use at the store. Over the years the building was rented and eventually became an antique store in 1978.